Pages

October 2, 2009

Carving the Journey

(1996-2001)
The development as a songwriter/mc began long before Savage Sun was ever manifested. Born & raised in NorCal (outside of S.F.), I began freestyling & writing rhymes in 1996 purely for personal enjoyment (after discovering the dark beats & methodical lyrics of the Wu-Tang Clan), & began recording Hip-Hop jams in professional studios in that same year (although, I remember growing up in elementary & junior high school, listening to the likes of Slick Rick, Doug E. Fresh, MC Lyte, Run-DMC, Fat Boys, Ice-T, & Beastie Boys, among others). 1996-1997 proved to be an essential time in terms of my development as an artist, although the need emerged to transform my lyrical style into something purely unique, & clearly my own. 1998-1999 witnessed the beginning stage of this transformation & redefining of my style, while recording became a real important focus for me. Performances for the most part, remained irrelevant until New Year's Eve, 1999, when I kicked off my first of 3 International performances in Aukland, New Zealand.

(2002-2006)
Fast Forward. The artist/stage name "Savage Sun" came to me after experiencing a lucid & intensely frightening nightmare, which ironically coincided with a drastic turning point in my writing & style as an artist. This name was also fitting, considering my native roots. In 2002, being a part of putting out legitimate album compilations became a reality for me. After the release of the Character Development LP, I intensified my aspirations & ambitions, which included a string of shows in the central valley & the bay area of California. I also experienced my first street performance in Europe in 2002, entertaining passersby on the streets of Brussels, Belgium. 2003 witnessed the launch of my website (www.savagesun.com). Coming to a crossroads in 2004, events led me to the northwest, while staying well rooted in the west coast. 2004 proved to be a truly pivotal year in my career, tested my desire & abilities, & was the catalyst for a period of tremendous growth in my artistic development. I wrote the greatest number of songs ever in 2004, showcasing a blend of unique jams & an undeniable talent as a songwriter. I also padded my resume with another respectable international performance in San Antonio, Costa Rica. 2004 held other milestones as well, as I completed shooting my first professional music video & launched my own music business: Sentient Productions (a music resource management & consultant company). Keep an eye out for upcoming blog titled "Sentient Productions" for services & rates). 2005-2006 witnessed a number of shows in the northwest, press, as well as many high quality songs. A relentless work ethic during the past 14 years has gained me a great deal of respect & acclaim within the Hip-Hop community, & considerable notoriety along the west coast of the United States, as well as abroad. I finished recording my freshman solo joint in 2006, laying to rest any doubts about my conviction to my craft.

(2007 & Beyond)
2007 brought a temporary move to St. Louis, MO, in part to gain important exposure in the midwest. I reached my most important artistic accomplishment when, on the eve of the Autumn Equinox, September 23rd, 2007, I released my 2 disc CD/DVD combo: "The Art Of Being Alive". Through blazing performances (14 local shows to date), strong networking, radio station interviews, & promotion of my new album, I have slowly begun to win over the tentative people from the "show me" state. 2008 was a productive year with many performances, including the St. Louis Scribble Jam Prelims & a show where I was invited to open up for Akil the MC (Jurassic 5) by Akil's Dj. I also received newspaper press in both California & Washington, as well as a promotional tour in Europe (securing album distribution in 2 stores in Scotland) & then another tour in Colombia. 2009 seemed to roll in like a storm. In April, I was selected as a CD Baby editor's pick which came with a 3 day front page spotlight & album review, honoring my debut album. In fact, CD Baby was quoted as saying about the album (The Art of Being Alive) that it was "One of the best we've ever heard!". On the following day, I was selected as one of URB Magazine's Next 1000, which came with an extremely favorable artist review. In July, I flew to Baltimore & made my way down to Richmond to wrap up shooting on the new music video for the song "Forced". After arriving back home & while browsing on Twitter, I learned that I was selected to perform at the exclusive PlaySTLFest. I performed at St. Louis' famous "Blueberry Hill", the night after Chuck Berry graced the stage.

What sprouted as a seed of thought bloomed into an idea, which in turn grew into well-rooted tree of reality. From one single moment of clarity, with pen & paper in hand to CDs, DVDs, radio broadcasts, interviews, newspaper & magazine articles, a music video, clothing sponsorships & worldwide exposure, I just keep living a dream. Desire & self belief carried me from where I stood before to where I stand today & I haven't looked back since. In case you heard the rumors, I will confirm them here. Its true.... I never sleep. You gotta believe that you can change the game. For me, that means elevating music to a level where inspiration coalesces with emotional evolution, & hopefully bringin' some hope back to a dying culture. I just remind myself that my self belief must always be bigger than the disbelief of others.

2 comments:

  1. keep on keepin' on brother. let us know when you have a show coming up. we're busy as hell but it's been too long since we seen you on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool, so fun to read, please keep them stories coming.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete